Tuesday 23 February 2016

My cartoon collection

I have always wanted to draw cartoons because for some jokes they are the most engaging way to tell them. The gestalt of a drawing grabs you in a way that serial narration cannot. Also a drawing can have multiple points of interest, whereas a story usually has one punchline.

So I enrolled in a cartooning course, and I created this blog to document my progress. With some exceptions, these cartoons were not course homework but jokes that I remembered or developed.

One thing I'm learning is how to see the shapes in objects. I'm also finding that faces are the hardest to draw, particularly the eyes, which as they say, are the windows to the soul. A small change in shape or highlighting can signal a different emotion. Maybe someday I might study portraiture.

Eventually I'd like to be able to whip out a sketch pad anywhere and draw a cartoon of something that I find amusing or interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment